Shortly after crossing Cagliostro’s borders, Lupin encounters the lovely princess of Cagliostro, hotly pursued by the Duke of Cagliostro’s cronies – and loses her to the Duke’s men who imprison her in his heavily-fortified castle. A bit of inquiry reveals that the Duke has plans to marry the princess against her wishes… and perhaps other plans as well, one involving finding a priceless treasure lost for centuries.
– Lupin Sansei: Cagliostro no Shiro
– Rupan Sansei: Cagliostro no Shiro
– Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro
– De Verborgen Stad
– El Castillo de los Falsificadores
– Lupin III: Slottet i Cagliostro
– Lupin: El Castillo de Cagliostro
– ルパン三世 カリオストロの城
– Arsene Lupin ja Cagliostro loss
– Das Schloss des Cagliostro
– Edgar de la cambriole – Le château de Cagliostro
– Lupin – Vévodsví Cagliostro
– Lupin III – Il castello di Cagliostro
– Замок Калиостро
– Lupin III. – Cagliostro kastélya
– Lupin III: O Castelo de Cagliostro
– Lupin Trzeci: Zamek Cagliostro
– Люпен Трети: Замъкът на Каглиостро
– Die Jäger des Cagliostro
– Hardyman räumt auf
– Hardyman schafft alle – Freiheit für Prinzessin Yasmin
– Lupin III – Le château de Cagliostro
– Lupin Sansei Movie 02
– Люпен III: Замок Калиостро
– Люпін ІІІ ~Замок Каліостро~
Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro (Japanese: ルパン三世 カリオストロの城 Hepburn: Rupan Sansei: Kariosutoro no Shiro) is a 1979 Japanese animated action-adventure comedy film co-written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki as his feature film debut.
The animation is beautiful for the late 70’s era, and remind me a bit of Laputa in some parts. The colors are vibrant and give off the impression it’s more colorful than real life. The art style is very goofy, as this is the norm for the time.
The mellow theme song “Honoo no Takaramono” by Bobby is beautiful and haunting. this song reminds me of Porco Rosso’s ending theme, which I also love.
This is the world of Lupin, where physic doesn’t have to make sense. For example, a car driving up a cliff. You need to suspense your disbelief to fully enjoy any Lupin’s anime.
The Lupin movie has a charm to its goofiness that’s endearing. I enjoy the anime throughout and wasn’t put off by it’s dated style. As a Hayao Miyazaki’s film, you can see elements from this anime that will be better refined in his later works.
I recommend this movie to the fan of light-hearted crime comedy. Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro contains graphic violence, smoking and alcohol consumption, and suggestive themes/dialogs. Intended for young adults.
Similar Title Recommendations
Take a peek at these related reviews.
Lupin the 3rd Movie (1979): The Castle of Cagliostro
A collection of notable videos, ranging from a fan-created trailer, music video, opening, and ending clip.
All images are copyright to their respective owners.
Photo by Nicolas LB, Jon Flobrant, and Yvette de Wit on Unsplash.