– Gekijōban Macross F: Sayonara no Tsubasa
– マクロスF 恋離飛翼～サヨナラノツバサ～
– Gekijōban Makurosu Furontia Sayonara no Tsubasa
– 劇場版 マクロスF 恋離飛翼 〜サヨナラノツバサ〜
The second film for Macross Frontier, The Wings of Goodbye, deviates more from the TV show. It is no longer considered a recap film, but more an alternate timeline that started with the first film. Despite not being a recap film, it still used clips from the TV and rearranged them. Kind of like how Robotech rearranged multiple series to tell its own story, deja vu.
The Wings of Goodbye movie may as well be one long music video. A new song/concert is required to play every so often, throw in some combat backdrop, then fill the rest of the time with a boring love triangle and you have the second movie.
I had the hardest time trying to finish this movie in one sitting. I was so bored with the forced love triangle that I constantly pause the movie to do something else. I would recommend turning your brain off during the required concert music video. They are just eye candy and does not move the story forward in anyway. Don’t worry about the plot, it isn’t worth following.
I know anime tend to have contrived plots and plot holes, but it is especially apparent here. The Sheryl rescue plan feels like it was thought up by a child. In fact, the whole plot feels like it too. Near the end, I have no idea why all the factions are fighting each other. I was so happy when the movie finally ended, which is never a good sign.
The only saving grace for this movie is the animation and art. The music is rather mediocre as all the songs started to sound the same. The song “Aimo” is the only exception, which I believe is just a copy version of “Voice” from Macross Plus.
This anime contains graphic violence, some sexual suggestive themes/dialogs, and nudity. Intended for young adults.
Similar Title Recommendations
Macross Frontier Movie (2011): The Wings of Goodbye
A collection of notable music and song from this series.
– “d Shootin’ Star b (dシュディスタb)” by Megumi Nakajima & May’n
– “Shima Aimo (島アイモ)” by Megumi Nakajima
– “Seikan Hikō (LIVE in Alcatraz) (星間飛行（LIVE in アルカトラズ）)” by Megumi Nakajima
– “Sayonara no Tsubasa ~the end of triangle~ (サヨナラノツバサ ～the end of triangle～)” by Megumi Nakajima & May’n
– “Nyan Nyan Final Attack Frontier Greatest ☆ Hits! (娘々Final Attack フロンティア グレイテスト☆ヒッツ!)” by Megumi Nakajima & May’n
– “Nijiiro★Kumakuma (虹いろ★クマクマ)” by Megumi Nakajima
– “Koi wa Dogfight (FIRST LIVE in Atlantis Dome) (恋はドッグファイト（FIRST LIVE in アトランティスドーム）)” by Megumi Nakajima
– “Kindan no Elixer (禁断のエリクシア)” by May’n
– “Hōkago Overflow (放課後オーバーフロウ)” by Megumi Nakajima
– “Get it on – Kōsoku Climax (Get it on ～光速クライmax～)” by Megumi Nakajima & May’n
All images are copyright to their respective owners.
Photo by Nicolas LB, Jon Flobrant, and Yvette de Wit on Unsplash.